The Frog Prince by The Brother Grimms

As a kidlit illustrator, reading plays a very important role in my life. It allows me to be imaginative and creative in so many ways. A couple of books I enjoy reading is children's books, of course! As a little girl, one of my favorite genres of books is fairy tales. Fairy tales capture my interest as it is filled with exciting events like magic, witches, princes, princesses, and most importantly, important values. 

Last week, I picked up the Grimm Brothers' Complete Fairy Tale collection, and one particular story I enjoyed was The Frog Prince. 

The Frog Prince is a story about a witch who cast a spell on a young prince by turning him into a frog. For many years, the frog lived in a well in a forest. One day, the youngest princess of the king, who is spoiled, lost her golden ball which fell into the well. The young princess cries and the frog offers to help the princess in return for companionship. The princess agrees and when the frog retrieves the golden ball, the princess breaks her promise and fled back to her castle. As time passed, the frog was able to seek the young princess, while she was having supper with the king. The king permitted the frog to enter the castle and demands the princess fulfill her promise. The spoiled young princess did what she was told, but when she and the frog was heading to bed, the princess becomes disgusted and fed up so she throws him against the wall. The frog then turns back into its true form and explains to the princess what happened. On the very next day, the prince and the princess hopped on a carriage and headed back to the prince's kingdom; we met Henrich who is the prince's faithful servant and has been in deep grief where his heart is supported by iron brands. 

After reading this story, I like the overall moral of faithfulness, friendship, promises, and selfishness. Based on the story, the main moral of the story is to remind us of the importance of promises because they establish trust. Without promises, then it will diminish the human connections we make. Overall, This resonates with me since I value my promises and they mean so much to me, and if one of them were to be broken, then I will be heartbroken because I would've felt like I have been lied to. 

Comments

Popular Posts