Deciding What to Create Next? Here is a list of my favorite fun creative hobbies!

Being creative is something that has always been a part of my life. I started my crafting journey two years ago when I was discovering new hobbies. Some of my favorite creative hobbies include:

1) Drawing (Illustrating Kidlit Art)

Children's book illustration is one of my favorite things to illustrate. I loved the whimsical aspect and the fun bright colors. Also, I was always inspired by other children's book illustrators such as Claire Keane (Little Wonders, Love is), Beatrix Potter (The Tale of Peter Rabbit), E.H Shepard (Winnie the Pooh), and many more. 

Sample of my Kidlit Art

 Some of my favorite children's books are:

  • Robert Munch Series (The Paperbag Princess) by Robert Munch
  • Hans Christian Andersen's Complete Fairy Tales (Did I mention I love fairy tales? xD)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales by the Brother Grimms
  • The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

2) Crochet

First Whale Amigurumi

Crocheting is a form of fiber art that is done using a hook and yarn. I started crocheting back in 2021  and the first thing I made was a scarf for my best friend. Since then, I have enjoyed crocheting so much that I started to create cute amigurumi (I love cute things :3). 

Best Friend's Scarf

If you are interested in learning crocheting, then I recommend searching Youtube tutorials! I learned by creating projects on Youtube and I am still definitely a beginner! 

3) Embroidery

Embroidery is a form of art that is done by decorating a piece of fabric using a thread and needle. Similarly to crocheting, I tried out embroidery in 2021. I started out by purchasing embroidery kits via Amazon. Overall, I had loads of fun learning the different types of stitches but it was frustrating at times for me since threads can get easily tangled! Also, if you have tiny hands like me, I enjoy working with smaller hoops rather than larger hoops.

My mother's day embroidery gift

4) Building miniature DIY kits

Robotime Cathy's Flower House

I discovered this one near the end of 2022 when my older sister got me my first miniature DIY kit — Cathy's Flower House. Essentially, miniature DIY kits are when you purchase a DIY miniature model/doll house (can get this via Amazon, Etsy, etc.) and you build it step-by-step following an illustrated manual! 

Overall, from my experience, it can be very challenging at times but in the end, I loved how rewarding it was once everything was pieced together; plus, I learned a lot (I learned how to make multiple types of plants xD)! I am hoping to get another one soon!

5) Building legos (pretty sure this is not considered arts and crafts but it is one of my favorite hobbies!)

Do I need to say more? Building legos is definitely one of my favorite hobbies! It makes me feel like a child again. xD Other than that, building legos has taught me how to be creative (visualizing), problem-solve, and have patience.

Similar to DIY kits, I love how rewarding it is once everything is pieced together and I am looking forward to sharing my lego collection soon!

Comments

Popular Posts